Sunday, August 16, 2009

Hurricane season

So...here we go again. I have lived on the Mississippi Gulf Coast for most of my life, 39 years, to be exact. I watch the weather channel much more when depressions and tropical systems come across the Atlantic. I mean, you have to stay informed about the weather no matter where you live, but here...where I am...this time of the year is the worst.

Allot of people will say, "I wouldn't live in the path of hurricanes", "why don't you move". Let's consider the alternatives...

Tornados - earthquakes - floods - Fires - snow and ice ...

tornadoes - no advance warning. They just find you!
earthquakes - no way, Jose'
floods - been there before,
fires - I don't relish the thought of everything I own being charred to cinders.
snow and ice - I can't stand the cold and I cannot drive in the stuff!

hurricanes - At least I can sit here and watch them come across the Atlantic and have a reasonable idea of where they are going and how strong the winds will be. Given that - I can decide for myself if I want to pack my most valuable possessions and hit the highway to a safer place or just sit here at home and hold down the walls!

So I live here...in one of the most beautiful places in the USA and when Hurricane season comes around, I get my Jim Cantori and Jeff Morrow fix!

So I am sitting here this morning watching the weather channel to see where TD 4 is planning to go. It formed in the Gulf, just off the West coast of Florida overnight. I also have my eyes on the other two that are making their way across the ocean.

Anyway, we will see what happens this year with the named storms and hopefully...all will be well.




Photobucket

No comments: